- What Makes A Great Scorer?
- Top 10 Myths About Andrea Bargnani
- Jonas Valanciunas Is Like Two Cookies (and Amir)
- Is The Big Man Era Over In The NBA?
- What Would Einstein Say About the Raptors Trading for Rudy Gay?
- Seeing Through Colangelo's Reality Distortion Field (Part 1)
- Can The Raptors Contend Without Tanking?
- The Case Against Signing Steve Nash
- An Open Letter to Bryan Colangelo
- 5 Stupid Reasons NOT To Trade Bargnani
- The Gospel According to Allen Iverson
Search the blog
Posted on June 24, 2010 | 14 Comments
In honour of The Sport’s Guys draft diary, which is probably one of the best articles of the year, every year, I thought I would do something similar. I wrote down my thoughts while I was watching the draft.
I didn’t write down the time, which I probably should have, but you can probably figure out when each comment is.
- Blah, blah, blah. Why does it take half an hour of pointless banter before the draft can begin. I have to pick up my oldest daughter at 6 PST. Hopefully the Raptors will have picked by then.
- Why are they showing former Blazers VP Tom Penn’s resume? Is he looking for a job? Oh, I guess he is. My wife is looking for a new job. Any chance I could get her resume up there, too?
- Wall, Turner, Favors, Johnson, Cousins…this draft is starting to become incredibly predictable. And no trades yet. It’s starting to feel like every Christmas, when it finishes and I wonder why the hell I looked forward to it for so long.
- Finally, a shake up. Isn’t Odoh possibly the least Golden State-type player available? Is this a sign that Don Nelson may, in fact, not be running the franchise? If I didn’t know any better, I’d start to think that they are actually trying to be a good team by picking a player who actually plays defense.
- What’s up with Jay Bilas? He seems to like everyone. It’s sickening. What I’d give for Charles Barkley and some honest opinions about now.
- Was Flip Saunders wearing a hairpiece?
- Hilarious. The Clippers “select in the lottery nearly every year”. I can’t even add to that.
- Bilas actually seemed to show less than normal enthusiasm for Aminu. “Needs to improve skill level.” Is that really something you want to hear about an 8th pick?
- Am I the only one who thinks that Aminu looks like Erkel with those glasses? Was it supposed to be a joke, because it certainly doesn’t look stylish.
- Why am I not surprised that Utah drafted a fundamentally sound white guy with little upside?
- Apparently Xavier Henry is “somewhat lefthanded”. What does that mean?
- I can’t believe I was right about Ed Davis falling. Man I feel smart. If the Raptors don’t select him, I will take back everything good I have ever said about Bryan Colangelo. This is a gift. It reminds me of when Iguodala unexpectedly fell to the Raptors, but instead Babcock chose Aruajo. I remember listening to the draft on the internet and was momentarily confused, thinking they had actually picked Iguodala. I was a little disappointed when I realized that it was a different Spanish sounding name called.
- Wow. All I have to say is wow. I can’t believe my number one guy fell and they picked him. I am officially a happy man. No matter what else happens, this was a good draft for the Raptors.
- Since my wish came true with Davis, does that mean Bargnani should be packing his bags?
- All these guys who I remember recently watching having sons come into the NBA makes me feel old.
- DeRozan’s favourite player was Vince, Ed Davis’ favourite player was Bosh. I’m sensing a pattern, here.
- Why am I not surprised Patterson went to Houston? They seem to like solid, unspectacular players.
- Patterson looks like he’s got massive shoulders in that suit. It’s cartoonish. He looks like the guy in the wheelchair on Family Guy.
- Bilas says Patterson is “a very good defender”? He needs to read more scouting reports, apparently.
- Larry Sanders went higher than expected. ”He still needs to learn the game”?? Isn’t that really something you should do BEFORE you get drafted in the first round in the NBA? Can you imagine a law firm hiring a guy with potential even though he still needs to learn about the law?
- Wow. Luke Babbitt, the player no one seems to care about, going to the city no one seems to care about. Good match.
- I have to go pick up my oldest daughter now. At the rate it’s going I won’t miss much.
- Crap, I missed quit a bit. Bledsoe and Bradley went one after another. Why do I think Oklahoma hit another home run? And look at all the guys who I have absolutely no opinion about.
- Babbitt got traded to Portland? Well that screws with my witty comment. This doesn’t seem like a Kevin Pritchard move, for some reason.
- Pointdexter danced the Nutcracker? Did you notice the ESPN announcer say “basketball player and dance”, and could barely keep a straight face. Sure, it’s not as manly as getting made up and sitting in front of a camera, stating the obvious, but whatever.
- The Nets get Derrick Favors and Damion Jones. I think they’ve done very well and if nothing else, they’ll be harder to score on, now.
- Wow. Greivis Vasquez’s mother looks like Catherine O’Hara.
- Orlando selects Daniel Ortez. Could that pick upset more people, do you think? Both Gortat and Ortez are probably pissed. I smell a trade.
- Why did David Stern have to read “First Round”. There are only two rounds. Did he forget which one it was? Do you think he’s rethinking holding the draft in New York every year? I think the fans booed at everything, and chanted USA when the Raptors were picking. Way to come across as classy, guys.
- Look at how far some of the guys fell! Whiteside, once a lottery pick, goes to the second round. The Raptors were looking at grabbing Alabi in the late first round and he lasts until 50. Willie Warren almost wasn’t drafted! That’s a long way to fall in one year. He was a projected lottery pick last year.
- Nice. The Raptors get Alabi and only give up a future second rounder and cash. They’ve done very well, despite not making any big trades. Raptor fans on some of the sites are looking like idiots, complaining about the Ed Davis pick and the lack of big trades. Apparently they believe that today is the only time trades are allowed to happen. I’m amazed by the pessimism.
- Well, that’s it for me. I’m actually a little shocked that no top 15 picks were traded. I was sure a couple of big deals would go down.
- Tomorrow I’ll do a report card of the draft.
I just thought I’d share a couple of quotes from Draft Express about Ed Davis, which might explain why I am so excited about him…
Defensively and as a rebounder is where Davis shows the most potential, thanks to his rare combination of fundamentals and physical tools. He ranks as one of the best shot-blockers in college basketball, being a major presence in the paint with his terrific length and timing, and should be able to make big strides as a post-defender and rim-protector as he continues to add strength to his frame. His wingspan allows him to go well outside of his area for rebounds as well, again being very productive in this area on both ends of the floor with his 12.4 rebounds per-40 minutes pace adjusted.
- Executes offensively
- Excellent hands
- Excellent Touch
- Ability to contest shots
- Commitment to playing defense
- Defensive fundamentals
- Shot-blocking tools
- Basketball IQ
- Role-player potential
- Strong Intangibles
- Above average athleticism
- Solid frame
- Rebounding ability
Last minute update:
Kevin Pritchard was fired on draft night. Isn’t that kind of like being dumped on prom night? Sure, there might have been reasons, but I don’t think there could be a worse time to fire a GM. The guy turned the team around and now he gets the shaft. Id really like to know what went on behind the scenes there.
Join the discussion: 14 Comments
- 2013 Overrated/Underrated/Breakout List (Part 2)
- Lessons Learned from the Playoffs (Conference Finals)
- Tempering Expectations on Ujiri
- 2013 Overrated/Underrated/Breakout List (Part 1)
- Lessons Learned from the Playoffs (Round 2)
- The More Things Change, the More They Remain The Same
- Lessons From The Playoffs (So Far)
- An Open Letter To Tim Leiweke
- And That’s A Wrap!
- Valanciunas By The Numbers
- #, 1970/01/01
- June 2013 (4)
- May 2013 (3)
- April 2013 (6)
- March 2013 (5)
- February 2013 (5)
- January 2013 (3)
- December 2012 (4)
- November 2012 (3)
- October 2012 (3)
- September 2012 (1)
- July 2012 (6)
- June 2012 (6)
- May 2012 (4)
- April 2012 (8)
- March 2012 (6)
- February 2012 (3)
- December 2011 (6)
- November 2011 (3)
- July 2011 (1)
- June 2011 (8)
- May 2011 (2)
- February 2011 (4)
- January 2011 (3)
- December 2010 (7)
- November 2010 (12)
- October 2010 (8)
- September 2010 (7)
- August 2010 (1)
- July 2010 (5)
- June 2010 (8)
- May 2010 (6)
- April 2010 (7)
- March 2010 (3)
- February 2010 (10)
- January 2010 (8)
- December 2009 (2)
- November 2009 (21)
- October 2009 (14)
- September 2009 (7)
- August 2009 (7)
- July 2009 (2)
- June 2009 (1)
- February 2009 (1)